FLUTTERBY

Saturday, November 03, 2007

Mocking bird

We completed our mockboard exams this week. I passed which was a relief, however I realized how easy it would be to fail. I have learned that you have to be absolutely sure your patient qualifies, that you x-rays are diagnostic, and that you paperwork is complete. You have control over these variables and have the opportunity to not loose any points for these. It would also allow you to mis 4 deposits of calculus.
I have also learned that exploring is an essential skill to have. If you are not good at this it is likely that you will miss areas you could have gotten off. I missed two deposits last time, but none of which I could actually feel without some assistance. The other difficult thing, was that they were spicules, hardly anything, maybe .005% of the tooth surface was covered by it. You have to make sure you explore each place to ensure success.
I also feel slightly more confident. I passed. With multiple large deposits on each tooth, all that was left behind were bery small amounts. The thing that worries me however, is the subjectivity of the examiners. What if one feels something that feels like calculus, but really isn't? Doesn't really matter, I get docked points. That makes me a little nervous. I know that as a student examiner, I wrote down teeth that I thought had deposits but really didn't.
A good strategy for cleaning is to take a larger ultrasonic tip and go after the large stuff a little more agressively. Another is to have really sharp instruments. Also, you need to be agressive when scaling (not enough to cause tissue trauma -5 points), lastly, explore carefully and take the time to make those areas smooth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home